Sushant Singh Rajput death case: Mumbai Police to record Karan Johar's statement
Mumbai Police will call in Karan Johar to record his statement in connection with the Sushant Singh Rajput case later this week, confirmed police sources. Police officials have also called in for the contract agreement copy between Sushant Singh Rajput and Dharma Productions, which will be analyzed by the investigating team. There had been allegations that Sushant Singh Rajput's film, Drive, was not released in theatres on purpose and was released on the OTT platform. Kangana Ranaut had alleged that Karan Johar did not release the film in theatres with the purpose of damaging the late actor's career.
On Monday, Mahesh Bhatt recorded his statement at Santacruz Police Station for over two hours. In his statement to Mumbai Police, Bhatt revealed that Sushant Singh Rajput was never offered the lead role in Sadak 2. In fact, Sushant Singh Rajput had expressed an interest to work with Mahesh Bhatt and had requested to be considered for any role in Sadak 2. Mahesh Bhatt further clarified that Sadak 2 was always going to be made with Sanjay Dutt as the lead, as it was touted to be the sequel to the original Sadak. Mahesh Bhatt's statement was recorded on Monday as part of the ongoing investigation of the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput. The 34-year-old actor died by suicide on June 14.
Mahesh Bhatt also added that he had met Sushant Singh Rajput only twice, once in 2018, when Sushant Singh Rajput came to see him and a second time when Sushant was unwell in the month of February 2020, and Bhatt had gone to visit him at his Bandra residence. Mahesh Bhatt said that Sushant met him and they discussed his YouTube channel, books written by Bhatt, and other literary things. The filmmaker further said that there were no work-related matters discussed ever between him and Sushant Singh Rajput.
Several Bollywood personalities have been questioned in connection with the Sushant Singh Rajput death case. After Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Yash Raj Films' head honcho, Aditya Chopra, Kangana Ranaut was recently summoned by the police to record her statement. However, since she is at her hometown in Manali, she has requested to have someone sent to her to record her statement, alternately, she can record it herself and send it over to the concerned authorities.
Apoorva Mehta, CEO of Karan Johar's Dharma Productions, has been called in for questioning on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, the viscera report of Sushant Singh Rajput ruled out any foul play. There were no traces of any poison or effluents either.