IPL 2020 suspended until further notice due to Covid-19, season will commence only when it is safe: BCCI

IPL 2020 suspended until further notice due to Covid-19, season will commence only when it is safe: BCCI

After the nation went into a 3-week lockdown amid the coronavirus outbreak, the Indian Premier League 2020 (IPL), which as earlier deferred until mid-April, has been postponed ‘until further notice’, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said on Thursday.

The Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 has been suspended indefinitely due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said on Monday.

The IPL 2020, which was scheduled to get underway on March 29, was initially suspended until April 15 after the country went on a 21-day lockdown in a bid to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus outbreak.

However, with the Covid-19 crisis intensifying across the globe, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Monday that the lockdown will be extended till May 3.

“Due to the evolving global health concerns regarding Covid-19 and lockdown measures implemented by the Government of India to contain the spread of the pandemic, the IPL Governing Council of the BCCI has decided that the IPL 2020 Season will be suspended until further notice,” the BCCI said in a release.

“The health and safety of the nation and everyone involved in our great sport remains our top priority and a scuh, the BCCI along with the Franchise Owners, Broadcasters and Sponsors and all the Stakeholders acknowledge the IPL 2020 season will only commence when it is safe and appropriate to do so.”

IPL 2020 was earlier scheduled to begin from March 29, was suspended until April 15 in the wake of the Covid-19. And with the lockdown extending until at least April 14 and the situation in the country getting worse, the tournament has been shifted to a later date.

Earlier, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly had said that no decision had been made on the fate of the IPL 2020 as the board was at the same place where it was when they announced suspension of the tournament. At the time of suspension of the cash-rich league, Ganguly had said the BCCI would be assessing the situation every week and would take a call depending on it.

"I can't say anything at the moment. We are at the same place where we were on the day we postponed. Nothing has changed in the last 10 days. So, I don't have an answer to it. Status quo remains," Ganguly told PTI.