Delhi Police arrests riot accused Tahir Hussain after court rejects surrender plea

Delhi Police arrests riot accused Tahir Hussain after court rejects surrender plea

Suspended AAP councillor Tahir Hussain, who moved the court seeking to surrender before it, has been arrested by the Delhi Police.

Tahir Hussain, who was absconding after he was linked to the death of an IB officer in the Delhi violence, went to a Delhi court on Thursday afternoon to surrender. The suspended AAP councillor, however, was arrested from the parking of the court after the court rejected his plea.

Tahir Hussain has now been taken to the crime branch.

Before going to the court, Tahir Hussain had claimed to be a victim of a witch hunt. Tahir Hussain told India Today that he was innocent and a riot victim himself. "My family and I ran away from rioters and the police were also informed about it. On February 24, I left with my family in the presence of police. The police took possession of the building," Tahir Hussain added.

On the killing of Intelligence Bureau's staffer, Tahir Hussain said Ankit Sharma losing life in Delhi violence is sad. The AAP councillor, however, hoped that an impartial probe into the case will bring forth the truth.

Tahir Hussain, booked in the murder case amid violence in northeast Delhi. had on Tuesday moved a Delhi court seeking anticipatory bail in the case lodged in connection with the alleged killing of IB staffer. District and Sessions Judge had, however, deferred the hearing for Wednesday.

In February, the Aam Aadmi Party suspended councillor Tahir Hussain from the primary membership of the party. The family of Ankit Sharma, who was found dead in a drain near his home in northeast Delhi's riot-hit Chand Bagh area, had accused Tahir Hussain of being behind the killing.

On the complaint of Ankit's father, the police had registered an FIR against Hussain, who had rejected the charge.

Hussain had denied any involvement in the riots or the killing of Ankit Sharma. Tahir Hussain had said: "These are lies and baseless accusations. For our safety, my family and I had moved away from our home in police presence."