Coronavirus: Death toll in China rises to over 1,860; total cases at 72,436
The death toll in China's coronavirus epidemic climbed to 1,868 on February 18 as 98 more people died.
The total number of confirmed cases jumped to 72,436, officials said.
Of the new deaths, 93 were reported from Hubei Province — the epicentre of the virus, China’s National Health Commission said.
Hubei reported 1,807 new confirmed cases, taking the total number of such cases to 59,989 in the province.
Another 1,432 new suspected cases were reported from the rest of China.
On February 17, 1,097 patients became seriously ill and 11,741 patients remained in severe condition, the commission said.
Of the 41,957 patients hospitalised in Hubei, 9,117 were still in severe condition and another 1,853 in critical condition, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The province also saw 1,223 patients discharged from hospital after recovery on February 17, bringing the total number of discharged patients in the province to 7,862. A total of 12,552 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery across China so far, it said.
In view of human-to-human transmission of the disease, over 1.41 lakh people who have come in contact with the people who contracted the virus are still under medical observation, it said.
By February 17, 60 confirmed cases including one death had been reported in Hong Kong 10 confirmed cases in Macao and 22 in Taiwan including one death.
Top World Health Organisation (WHO) experts, including from the US, have joined the fight against the the virus, called COVID-19, in China.