China's coronavirus death toll touches 3,042; confirmed cases rise to 80,552
The death toll in China's novel coronavirus outbreak has touched 3,042 with 30 new fatalities while the confirmed cases have risen to 80,552 amid signs that the dreaded COVID-19 was stabilising, including in the epicentre Hubei province.
China's National Health Commission (NHC) said that it received reports of 143 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection and 30 deaths on March 5 on the Chinese mainland.
Among the deaths, 29 were in Hubei Province and one in Hainan Province, NHC said in its daily update of the COVID-19 today.
Meanwhile, 102 new suspected cases were reported taking the 482, it said.
The overall confirmed cases on the mainland so far totalled to 80,552 by the end of March 5. This included 3,042 people who had died of the disease 23,784 patients still being treated and 53,726 patients discharged after recovery, the NHC said.
Also on March 5, 16 imported cases (those coming from abroad) of novel coronavirus infection were reported on the mainland, including 11 in Gansu Province, four in Beijing and one in Shanghai.
By the end of the day, 36 imported cases had been reported, said the commission.
So far 104 confirmed cases including two deaths had been reported in Hong Kong, 10 confirmed cases in Macao, and 44 in Taiwan, including one death.
Forty-six patients in Hong Kong, nine in Macao and 12 in Taiwan had been discharged from hospital after recovery, NHC said.
China's Hubei Province and it's capital Wuhan, the epicentres of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 126 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 29 deaths on Thursday.
The latest report brought the total confirmed cases in the hard-hit province to 67,592.